Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Time Flies!

I almost always leave everything to the last minute so it should be no surprise that I have done the same with the creation of my Peace Corps blog which I've been promising for close to two months now.  It's amazing how hectic life can get when you leave packing, seeing all your friends, and reassuring your parents that you'll be okay to the last minute.  And then you realize you forgot to make a blog!  So it's 11pm and I'm supposed to be meeting everyone I'm joining the Peace Corps with in about 12 hours.  But first I have to finish packing and say some final "see you later's."
The Peace Corps is something that I jokingly told my parents I wanted to do probably five years ago.  I had no idea what it was other than the fact that it included living abroad for two years and that was good enough for me.  So you could say I've had the travel bug for quite some time now.  I didn't seriously begin to consider any type of international volunteering until I went to the Dominican Republic with Villanova's Service Break Trip Program and lived at an orphanage for young boys.  It opened my eyes to a world I had only heard about before.  But somehow I almost felt more comfortable and at ease living without the constant comforts of modern living.  I realized I'd rather trade the hustle and bustle of American life for the real human relationships I felt I could actually build with these kids who knew nothing of my life except that Vladimir Guerrero could hit any pitch to any field and make it look effortless.
I used the resources at Villanova to make three more trips abroad during my final two years of college.  I spent June 2010 in Rwanda seeing the effects of 1994 up close.  I'm not sure I'll ever see anything so real again in my life.  But more than the history of Rwanda, I fell in love with the people and culture.  In Rwanda people seemed to live with a passion for life, similar to the boys in the Dominican Republic.
I knew I had to return to Africa, so for the Spring Semester of my junior year I studied at the University of Botswana where I spent entirely too much time comparing it to my experience in Rwanda and not enough time appreciating Botswana for the amazing place it is and the incredible people I met.  But as I reflect on my time in Botswana I realize that it gave me the confidence that I really could live abroad for a long period of time.
My final experience abroad was another one of Villanova's Service Trips.  I went to Cambodia in January 2012 and lived at an orphanage for children who lost their parents to AIDS.  The operation at New Hope for Cambodian Children was absolutely astonishing.  I never really believed that one person (or two) could make a huge difference in the world, but after seeing what John and Kathy were doing for these children, who were basically ostracized in Cambodia, was inspiring.  I began to think that the world may not recognize what one or two people are doing, but that doesn't mean they're not making a difference.  From that point, I knew I had to do something with my life that made me feel like I was using my knowledge and abilities to make a difference for even just one person.
So here I am, about to spend two years in Mozambique doing something related to HIV/AIDS - something I know next to nothing about - completely overpacked, and incredibly excited to begin this journey that (fingers crossed) will change me forever.

A note about the blog title.  I've realized the saying "time flies when you're having fun" is incredibly cliche, but also flawlessly accurate.  I always find myself trying to remember the little stories that make each experience worthwhile.  And invariably, I find myself wishing I had more time to make more memories with the people I meet wherever I go.  So one of my goals for this Peace Corps experience is to be present as much as possible - to invest in the people I'm working with, not just for their benefit but also for my own.  Hopefully I will find the time to slow things down and make the most of every moment.  A well known figure once said, "Life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look around once and a while, you could miss it."  Well, here's to hoping no moment passes by without at least one second of its recognition.  I'm excited, anxious, nervous, apprehensive, but ready for this and I hope you all hop on for the ride.  It's gonna be WILD!


2 comments:

  1. Great to have you online and blogging. I'm off to Rwanda next wednesday but not for years, just weeks. I am proud of you Sean! You are destined to great things, even if they take place in obscure places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels everywhere you go. Have as many great moments as possible and take all the hard times in stride. Just try not to get food poisoning this time! I'm not there to hide you from police while on the hunt for a working ATM so we can get your passport back :-) Good memories with my favorite travel partner. Can't wait to have some more when I come over in about a year. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete